Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Context

I'm fortunate enough to have the Broadview edition of Ormond so, a lot of contextual support is already completed. However, said edition does not contain many instances of physiognomy. I hope my work thus far has at least provided a basic working definition for what physiognomy is. But I'm always a fan of visual aids and definitions. So, this contextual evidence will be directed to help my loyal readers get a more comfortable idea of what my topic is really about.

Firstly, is a link to the works of Charles Le Brun. Le Brun was a painter who lived and worked in France during the same era Brockden Brown was writing. This site offers reproductions of some of his plates and engravings in great detail. You can see the commonalities that were associated with certain people and animals. I would absolutely include some reproductions of Le Brun's engravings in an edition of Ormond in order to showcase physiognomy in action.
http://www.maitres-des-arts-graphiques.com/-EXBArchive.Physiognomie1.html

Johann Caspar Lavater revitalized physiognomic thought in Brown's time. His works, known around the world, were frequently cited and highly influential in the field of psychology. It was his primary piece, Aphorisms on man, that stood above the rest as the most famous and cited. An edition of Ormond that focused on physiognomy would not be complete without the principle treatise of one of it's founding fathers.
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/Evans/?p_product=EVAN&p_theme=eai&p_nbid=C46G49JEMTIzODYxNjU3Ny4yMDYxNDk6MToxNDoxMzIuMTcwLjY5LjE4OA&p_action=doc&p_queryname=1&p_docref=v2:0F2B1FCB879B099B@EVAN-0F3019C08BC11C08@28954-0FDD5F1763CB1218@1

More to come

No comments:

Post a Comment